The next stage in the Upcycling project has been community workshops at the new Riversmeet Community Resource Centre in Cockermouth, Florence Mine in Egremont and with Sustainable Carlisle. We will:
- Run creative design and reuse workshops throughout Cumbria in upholstery, soft furnishings, clothes and textiles, furniture restoration etc.
- Create the interior in the Riversmeet Community Resource, Cockermouth
- Community access to skills, equipment and materials
Promote waste prevention through awareness raising activities, workshops, events and activity.
Monday Group – Cookie Crochet
- Expand waste reuse/recycling schemes through improved resource collection/storage and accessibility.
- Increase the profile of upcycling in Cumbria through marketing, network events, workshops.
In the long term WASTE AND COMMUNITY ACTION will enable
bike bits to windchimes
the transfer of skills to local people to educate communities to use waste materials and recycle valuable resources into new products, and ultimately reduce waste in Cumbria.
The project is funded by Cumbria County Council Waste Fund and Groundwork North East in Cumbria.
Groundwork is a group of charities helping people and organisations make changes in order to create better neighbourhoods, to build skills and job prospects, and
Friday Men in workshop – fixing chairs
to live and work in a greener way.
To date we have run: 3 upholstery workshops, wind chimes, carpentry, painted furniture, soft furnishings, a weekly men in the workshop and young peoples craft with Age Uk West Cumbria and Inspira.